Saturday, December 26, 2009

Happy Holidays

Happy holidays to all you out there who aren't reading this blog. Sorry I was off a few days. I just wanted to say I should do at least one blog a year where I'm not grousing about anything, so today is that day.

That means that this will be a very short blog! Happily, I saw "Avatar" yesterday, and what a revelation that was! It was the most glorious movie experience ever. I hadn't seen any 3-D pictures since the early 80's, when they did it for a number of exploitation films. I truly felt totally immersed in the world of Pandora and its marvelous natives, the Na'vi. All corporate capitalists and Wall Street prima donnas should be forced to see this anti-corporatist, pro-environmental, anti-military masterpiece. The scenes of the glowing creatures and vegetation at night and the Na'vi's central holy tree were alone worth the price of admission. And the trailers for "Alice in Wonderland" in 3-D were pretty amazing also, although in a different way. Is a 3D renaissance on the way?

The only bad thing about "Avatar", at least for film makers who want to do more of this breakaway, revolutionary work, is the cost involved, which will certainly stifle some up and coming directors. But like everything else, the costs involved will eventually come down, and such movies as "Avatar will become commonplace. I don't know how far into the future that will be, but I doubt it will be very long.

All that said, I had a great Christmas, although I was a little hurt not all my kids called me. It's a self-absorbed generation, I know. Still, it would be nice...

No comments:

Post a Comment